Before patching change window starts we have to perform below steps :
1. Log Onto the Standalone SQL Windows box.
2. Check for Missing msi and msp files . If there are any missing of msi\msp files found then please go through below links and find how to fix
You can use MSI-Moksha.exe tool to find out missing msi and msp files ,also you can repair the missing files by using this tool itself .
3. If there are any – repair the missing files.
4. And Make sure that above steps are completed successfully.
5. During maintenance Window perform below steps :·
Keep the SQL Database servers into maintenance mode·
Run the patch executable·
Make sure all rules have passed. If not take necessary actions to pass the rules·
In the next wizard ,Accept the license terms and click proceed·
In next wizard, Select all the SQL server features which needs to be Upgraded·
In next wizard, Files in use will be checked – once checking completes click next.
In next wizard, just go through the list of features and click Upgrade·
We need to wait until it completes and make sure the patch is successfully applied. See the Summary. txt error log located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log and check the detail logs for troubleshooting if failure happens
6. Reboot SQL window box if required
7. Perform SQL Health check
8. Once above steps are completed successfully you can remove the SQL Box from MM(Maintenance Mode).
9. Validate in the Monitoring Tool ( if you have any ) to make sure the corresponding Patched Instances are being correctly monitored.
Once the above all steps completed successfully Connect to SQL Instances which are patched and run below script to see SQL Version is at correct patch level:
SERVERPROPERTY(‘Edition’) AS ‘Edition’,
SERVERPROPERTY(‘ProductVersion’) AS ‘ProductVersion’,
SERVERPROPERTY(‘ProductLevel’) AS ‘ProductLevel’,
SERVERPROPERTY(‘ResourceLastUpdateDateTime’) AS ‘ResourceLastUpdateDateTime’,
SERVERPROPERTY(‘ResourceVersion’) AS ‘ResourceVersion’
Back-Out Plan :
If you encountered with any issues while applying Patch perform below steps
Log onto Standalone SQL windows box
- Open Add and Remove Programs from control panel
- Check the Show Updates\view installed updates box on add remove programs window
- on the right pane, Go through the page and locate (Sp info), click the box to mark it and hit remove
- Follow the wizard until the feature is completely removed
- Reboot if required
- Perform SQL Health check.