Before patching change starts you need to perform below steps :
1. Log Onto the Standalone SQL Windows box.
2. Check for Missing msi and msp files . Please check below link how to find out missing files and fix it
You can use MSI-Moksha.exe tool to find out missing msi and msp files ,also you can repair the missing files by using this tool itself .
3. If there are any – repair the missing files.
4. And Make sure that above steps are completed successfully.
5. During maintenance Window perform below steps :·
Put SQL windows box into maintenance mode·
Run the patch executable·
Make sure all rules have passed. If not take corrections·
Accept the license term on next page and proceed·
Select all SQL server features that needs to be Upgraded·
Files in use will be checked on next page – hit next when checking complete·
Verify the list of features that will be upgraded and hit Upgrade·
Wait until it completes and make sure it’s successful. See the Summary. txt error log located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log and check the detail logs for troubleshooting if failure happens
6. Reboot SQL window box if required
7. Perform SQL Health check
8. Once above steps are completed successfully you can remove the SQL Box from MM(Maintenance Mode).
9. Validate in the Monitoring Tool ( if you have any ) to make sure the corresponding Patched Instances are being correctly monitored.
Once above all steps are completed successfully Connect to SQL Instances that were patched and run below SQL to see SQL Version is at correct level:
SERVERPROPERTY(‘Edition’) AS ‘Edition’,
SERVERPROPERTY(‘ProductVersion’) AS ‘ProductVersion’,
SERVERPROPERTY(‘ProductLevel’) AS ‘ProductLevel’,
SERVERPROPERTY(‘ResourceLastUpdateDateTime’) AS ‘ResourceLastUpdateDateTime’,
SERVERPROPERTY(‘ResourceVersion’) AS ‘ResourceVersion’
Back-Out Plan :
If any issues with Patching perform below steps
Log onto Standalone SQL windows box
- Open Add and Remove Programs from control panel
- Check the Show Updates box on add remove programs window
- Go down the page and locate (Sp info), check the box to mark it and hit remove
- Follow the wizard until the feature is completely removed
- Reboot if required
- Perform SQL Health check.